upgrading to F16 or F17 with /var and/or /usr on LVM volumes?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 13:19:54 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Eddie G.O'Connor Jr-I
<eoconnor25 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What about a SystemRescue CD?

The rescue CD is the netinstall CD. (And, you will note below, that
was the option I had just finished trying.)

> ....I've been told they have tools that can
> help out in situations where you can't seen to get into your PC?

Well, the LVM tools would appear to be on the CD if the installer
allows one to set up the install with LVM volumes.

No idea why they are not enabled, so that I can't even see the LVM
volumes under /dev/disk

>....and is
> that all I would have to backup if I wanted to go from Fedora 15 to Fedora
> 17?

Is what all you would have to back up for what?

Guessing that you refer to my "short of backing up ..." comment?

Typically, one backs up /home and /etc. You may or may not restore
/home, but /etc is for reference, not for direct restoring. Everything
is is generated.

> using a fresh install...."home" and "etc"..is that where all my skins for
> Firefox....Thunberbird.....Audacity etc are located?

/home/username/.various-configs

> What about my music,
> pictures, and documents?

Directories of those names under /home/username

> would all those be safe?

What do you mean by safe?

Anyway, if you want your /home directories to survive the upgrade, you
need to take special efforts during the install to avoid walking all
over /\home.

> I want to upgrade / update
> so bad, but I also don't want to lose all the stuff I have on here
> either!...
>

> EGO II
>

> On 06/20/2012 10:13 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
>>
>> Tried preupgrade, but it can't find my old system, and kicks the
>> upgrade process to the curb.
>>
>> Then I tried the netinstall CD and it can't find my old system, either.
>>
>> Looking around, I see a bit of discussion of problems with the install
>> process recognizing  LVM partitions. Rescue mode boot of the
>> netinstall CD appears to be unable to mount LVM partitions.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a work-around short of backing up /etc and /home
>> and doing a fresh install?
>>

>> --
>> Joel Rees
>

> --