tracker-store and tracker-extract eating 50% of cpu time on a Dual-core AMD Opteron

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Fri Jun 22 21:25:07 UTC 2012

On 22.06.2012 18:50, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 06/22/2012 08:10 AM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>> On 22.06.2012 16:47, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>>> Suddenly after a reboot I find between 50-60% of my CPU used. I load
>>> process manager and find tracker-store and tracker-extract being the
>>> main
>>> culprits, with spikes of 90% of cpu usage.
>>>
>>> This is a dual-core AMD Opteron server with 2 gigs of RAM.
>>>
>>> Who' s the genius who thought this would be acceptable? and how do I
>>> tame
>>> these processes not to use more than 10% of cpu without uninstalling
>>> the
>>> whole shebang? (provided those actually serve a useful purpose that
>>> I'm not
>>> aware of).
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> FC
>>>

>> In my case tracker-store acts like a fork bomb! After fresh boot I
>> shortly have a lot (about 50-100) defunct tracker-store and
>> tracker-extract processes each consuming about 5 MB of memory. I have to
>> manually kill them or I'm unable to launch any app form Gnome Shell. yum
>> remove is not an option because of dependencies. I confirm this behavior
>> on 64 bit box with Fedora 17, on 32 bit Fedora 17 all is fine.
>>
>> I'm glad, I'm not alone with this problem.
>>

>> Mateusz Marzantowicz
>>

> Have you reported these via bugzilla? It's interesting that it's only
> on the 64-bit architecture that this is an issue.

First, I want to make sure it is a bug, then I'd like to know more about
what this app does and how. I was also searching bugzilla for related
reports but it looks like there is no such error report so I'll probably
fill in new report. I just need to gather more info abut this problem.
Is this problem only noticed by Fernando and Me or there are other
people on the list suffering?

Mateusz Marzantowicz