F17 XDMCP

Robert Myers rbmyersusa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 20:19:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Ken Smith <kens at kensnet.org> wrote:

> Hi, I in danger of making this a rant, but is XDMCP no longer something
> that Fedora supports?
>
> gives?

<snip>

> Thanks for any hints and guidance.

I have more than a hint and guidance.  I have emphatic advice.  Stop trying
to import and export desktops, no matter the system.  Import and export
windows or create virtual machines, but do not ever under any circumstances
attempt to deal with virtual desktops, no matter the Windows or Linux
distribution.  If you get it right once for some circumstance, whatever you
have gotten right will soon become wrong in some intolerable way just as
soon as some weenie somewhere has a better idea.  No one is more or less a
sinner.  All are.  I know what a virtual machine is and I know what a
window is and so do most systems.  No one seems to be able to agree on what
a desktop is or what its powers are, and that problem is absolutely
fundamental.

Robert Myers