powerdown restarts

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Sat Jun 30 18:37:58 UTC 2012

On 30.06.2012 17:36, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> On 06/30/2012 03:51:45 AM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>> On 29.06.2012 22:37, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
>>> This problem has been submitted to Bugzilla (836657), but I thought
>> I'd
>>> ask here to see if there are any fixes lurking.
>>>
>>> System is running 3.4.3-1.fc17.x86_64. When I systemctl poweroff
>> the
>>
>>> kernel reboots instead of powering off. Under Windows 7, power off
>>> works as expected. All packages are up-to-date.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>> What about shutdown -h ? Does it work as expected? Then try halt and
>> poweroff commands.
> It's my understanding that poweroff is a backwards-compatibility
> implementation of systemctl poweroff, which I have tried to no avail. I
> should have mentioned that. It appears that halt is the same. shutdown
> if a link to systemctl. Bottom line is that I would not expect any of
> these to be any different, but I live in hope and will report back if
> there's any difference.
>
> I should also mention that systemctl poweroff works fine on my laptop
> running the 32-bit version of Fedora 16.
>
> One point, FWIW. Power off is essential for my application. Merely
> halt-ing is no better than just leaving the system running.
>
> Thanks. I don't wish to seem ungrateful -:)

Yes, you're right about that links to systemctl. Unfortunately there is
no magic related to shutdown/halt/power off in systemctl, it all calls
reboot() syscall through libc. Your problem lays probably somewhere in
kernel and might be ACPI related (it was very common sometime ago).

Does your 32 bit and 64 bit boxes are the same or different machines?

Mateusz Marzantowicz