recommend some info on hot to upgrade from F15 to F16 using preupgrade

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Mar 2 20:59:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 17:01:12 -0300
Martín Marqués <martin.marques at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's all I want (what's in the subject).
>
> I've had some headaches with preupgrade, basically, I guess, because I
> have /var on another partition.

Preupgrade randomly fails anyway. Its great when it works but it's a bit
of a russian roulette experience.

1. Make a backup

2. Check your backup

3. Install the fedora-release-* rpms from F16

4. Go to run level 3 (or 1) and a text mode console (this is vital for
15->16). If you don't then the desktop will go berzerk mid upgrade and
it'll end in a nasty mess.

5. yum upgrade yum

6. yum upgrade

7. check your /boot/grub2.cfg looks sane. Whether you upgrade or use the
CD or whatever F16 is incredibly broken here and frequently totally
screws this up preventing booting from anything but rescue media. If its
broken you may need to screw about by hand until it concedes defeat and
generates you the right bits

Reboot

Fix up your services (as per F15 to F16 upgrade notes), something else
Fedora makes a hash of however you upgrade.

and then all should be well.