How to clean up Yum mess?

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 3 14:07:27 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 09:09 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 12:31 +0000, Arthur Dent wrote:
> > I really don't like the new system of fully-automatic or
> > manual-only updates. I preferred the pre F15 method of informing you
> > by means of an applet when updates are available.
>
> I wasn't aware that this had changed. Before F16 I only ever used yum
> directly (and still do a lot of the time), but now I see a "gear wheel"
> icon on the KDE panel when updates are available, and choose to apply
> them via the GUI when I feel like it. How is this different from what
> you describe?
>
> poc

Sorry - Should have pointed out - I'm running Gnome. With Gnome 3 there
is no icon on the panel (as there was with Gnome 2 and Fedora < 15).

The only possible settings are found in Applications->Other->Software
Settings. This brings up a dialogue box entitled "Software Update
Preferences" in which there are only 2 drop-down boxes. The first says
"Check for updates" and the options are "Hourly, daily, weekly, never"
and the second is "Automatically Install" and the options are "All
updates, Only security updates, Nothing"

Up to now I had it set on Hourly / Automatically Install. This meant
that it would check for updates every hour and automatically install
them without further reference to me. This was usually OK, and I would
often turn on my machine to find I had a shiny new kernel or version of
Firefox etc. But I didn't realise that I would be able to turn off the
machine (without warning) whilst updates were in progress.

Hence the mess I am now in...

I will now have to set the options to never / never and remember to run
yum update manually. In my opinion a retrograde step...

Anyway - any ideas how I fix the mess?

Thanks

Mark