synchronize time

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 3 16:13:14 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 22:08 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 07:34 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > The above is exactly what happened to me, which prevented cups
> > browsing to occur.
>
> Not so much that CUPS is upset that you had the setting for UTC set, but
> that you had time and/or timezone set wrong, then.
>
> All services should work properly whether the hardware clock is set to
> UTC or not.  The software that handles the time will get it right when
> you set the configuration for UTC to match what you're actually doing
> with the hardware clock.  If you mis-set that, you can expect problems.
>
> I don't know whether it's "supposed to be" that all programs ignore the
> hardware clock, and check the software clock for time.  But I dare say
> that it's possible for them to look at the hardware clock, directly.
> Either way, whether reading software or hardware clocks, your system
> configurations that say what your timezone is, and whether the hardware
> clock runs on local time or UTC, should be set correctly.

Whatever you theorize, here is what happened. The hardware clock was set
to UTC, and the software clock was local time. However, the UTC box in
system-config-date was not checked. Result was cups browsing did not
work properly and ntpd would crash shortly after starting.

It's reassuring to know that if you behave strangely enough, society
will take full responsibility for you.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net