Need help USB modem

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sat Mar 3 23:52:59 UTC 2012

Thanks Greg,
My reading over the past days shows that this is a Linux problem across
all Linux variations. Imposed by Telstra Bigpond in Australia seemingly
because they do not support Linux and seem to provide modems limited to
windows in some way.

It's not simply a ubuntu problem, it just happens that this student's
laptop in this instance has that operating system.
Let's, for the sake of the exercise call it a Fedora laptop if it means
greater assistance, but I do not see that as important to the solution.
I have tested over the weekend on Fedora boxes and laptop/s which all
experience the same problem with the Sierra aircard 312U usb wireless
modem and have done for many years.

I would quite happily direct students to Fedora except for these reasons.
1. It is cutting edge and when things go wrong the student can get very
concerned.
With their work load it is a problem we would not wish on Year 10 to
year 12 students to spend frustrating days fixing a problem so they can
continue their lessons.

2. There is very little to no assistance for students at their level of
understanding, it is all highly technical and way out of the mindset of
14-18 year olds.

3. Ubuntu is used in the school fraternity by students from year 8
through 12.
This in no way implies that they know the vagaries of an operating
system. It is a statement that they are sick of windows and microsoft.
This needs encouragement.

Please if possible help our students with solutions and where a Linux
solution is needed, lose the "them/us mentality. Students are tomorrow's
leaders, they need help and there is nothing out there. If it means
starting another list dedicated to this then please someone do this,
it's out of my expertise.

This, to me is a "convert to Linux" matter.
With the wealth of global knowledge in this list I figured someone just
may have found a solution.

Yes! There are pages discussing and providing solution to this problem.
As with pretty much all tutorials on the web,  years out of date and the
remainder do not provide coherent discussion let alone resolution.

Like some other support and assistance lists and forums, until I
experience differently, Ubuntu lists are not a patch on this list. I
wish it were different.

I have written to sierra for assistance but no response as yet.

Yes I understand that Fedora is the name and Fedora is the game but the
game is very much more, ----  Linux -----.
We want people to use Linux do we not?
Cheers and thanks
Roger