YouTube, HTML5, and Chromium. Why the sudden malfunction?

Christopher Svanefalk christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 09:39:42 UTC 2012

Last month, one of the most pleasant surprises I ran across was the fact
that Google finally seemed to have defaulted to HTML5 for YouTube.
Virtually every video I played (I cannot remember a single counterexample)
was working fully in the HTML5 player. It was a real relief, since I really
do not want to rely on Flash for my web experience.

The last few weeks, however, something has changed drastically on this
front. All of a sudden, the majority of videos are NOT playable. They only
throw an "your browser does not currently recognize any of the video
formats available" exception, and refuse to play.

Does anyone know why this is? Are there any possible workarounds?

I am running Chromium 19, built on Fedora 16.