synchronize time

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 5 06:45:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 15:57 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Well your point is incorrect. Cups browsing did not work if UTC was
> not set. TThe clocks were set correctly. The hardware clock was
> operating on UTC time and the system clock was running on local time.

You just don't get it, do you?!  You've even said it above:

    Your hardware clock is running on UTC

Therefore, you ***MUST*** set your clock configuration to say that UTC
is set.  If you do not, then your time is set wrong.

Correct setting of your time is dependent on the hardware clock, setting
the UTC/not-UTC flag, and setting the correct timezone.  The combination
of them all allows the computer to work out what localtime is.

Again, I repeat, it's not a CUPS fault that it doesn't like UTC set.
It's your fault that you're running your clock on UTC but saying that it
is not.

The UTC/not-UTC setting is for the hardware clock, not the software
clock.

If you run the hardware clock on UTC, then you set the UTC flag for UTC.

If you run the hardware clock on local time, then set the UTC flag for
local time.

CUPS will work either way.  It doesn't care whether one clock is set to
UTC, or not.  What it cares about is the correct time.

But if you set your hardware clock on UTC, but say it's running
localtime; or, if you set your clock on localtime, but say it's running
on UTC; you ARE going to have problems, because doing so is just plain
wrong.

   *** THE UTC FLAG IS FOR THE HARDWARE CLOCK ***
                               ^^^^^^^^
I've said this about three times, in three emails, what's so hard to
understand about it?

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686