preupgrade to Fedora 16 with grub2 upgrade failure?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Mar 5 22:01:19 UTC 2012

Did a preupgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 16 on a system, and
everything seemed to go fine except the grub was not updated to
the grub2 as other upgrades I had done had.

I was able to get the older grub to boot the new kernel, by
manually editing the grub.conf file, but have not been able to fine
a way to get the grub2 to work or find info to fix it.

The fdisk shows the first partition starts at sector 63, and this
seems to give a message that the embeded area is to small.

The strange thing is that I have other systems that I upgraded that
have the same first partition starting at 63, but they have the
grub2 working? It might be that they were upgraded earlier, and
the grub2 might have fit in that area, but have seen messages
that say an update has made it no longer fit in that area.

Another system has a clean install of Fedora 16, and it has the
first partition starting at 2048.

Have thought of moving the first partition to free up space, but
gparted mentions that this might make the boot fail.

Is there some documentation that can help in getting the grub2
working?

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11891943.081134   |   EINSTEIN     7431934.479852
ROSETTA      4285134.245134   |   ABC         11488114.290956