Problem with su -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Mar 6 14:50:30 UTC 2012

On 06/03/12 09:29, jdow wrote:
> On 2012/03/06 01:49, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>        [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
>
> Bob, it's this line. Find it by looking for the line below it:
> shopt -s checkwinsize
>
> Your /etc/bashrc file is not getting run in the case you cite, using
> an unadorned "su" to get to root privileges but not root configuration.
> So you've intentionally or unintentionally done something which prevents
> /etc/bashrc from getting run during the configuration phase just after
> entering the root password for "su".
>
> So far nobody else seems to be saying "me too". So my conclusion is that
> something you did messed it up. This is a maze of twisty little passages.
> It may be hard to figure it out.

        Yes, I am certain it is not a general Fedora problem, never
        meant to imply that. I think it began when I had a problem with
        yum install Thunar, I barely recall the sequence but I simply
        uninstalled and started over, finished what I was working on and
        the didn't turn on the computer over the weekend, found problem
        Monday morning.

> The tentative obvious solution is to not use "su". Instead make it a
> proper
> login shell using "su -". (I'm not sure there's a good case to use
> "su" alone,
> ever. You generally use su to get a shell that behaves like a root
> shell with
> all the root utilities available without having to use full path names.)

        Usually if I try to do something and it tells me I need root
        permissions I simply do su not su -, rarely need the latter, but
        perhaps there is something I am missing there? I tend to just do
        what works for me which may not be best ...

> {^_^}

All is happiness and light now after the last go-around:

    "You mean you don't have a /root/.bash_profile and /root/.bashrc ???

    The "good box"???

    If you don't have them....copy them from the good box....

            Did that and that appears to have corrected the problem!

            I thought I had determined those files were present earlier but
            it appears that I got confused with copying between users and
            computers. My apologies if I have prolonged the pain. "

    Thanks for the help,

    Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD