how to start fvwm from the console command line?

stan gryt2 at q.com
Sat Mar 10 17:38:06 UTC 2012

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:26:45 -0800
ny6p01 at gmail.com wrote:

> Not familiar with fvwm, but I have 4 wm's that I run on a regular
> basis, and what I have done is make a little shell script:

I modified your script to allow an argument, and to start several more
window managers, all available as packages in the Fedora repositories.
At this time it defaults to gnome if no argument is entered.  It
uses .Xclients because that runs a Fedora X setup script which .xinitrc
won't, as near as I can tell.  I've attached it below.

I named it xselect, but it can be named anything you want.
Started as ./xselect ob, it will start openbox, for example.
If started as ./xselect, it will ask for a two letter code.
If you hit enter again, without a code, it will start the default.
Control-C will cancel.

I run a custom keymap, one I created.  In order to get it in all the
window managers, I have it in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols.  GDM will pick
it up from there, but some of the window managers need an entry for it
in /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.xml in order to see it.  And some
don't seem to have the ability to change to custom keymaps. Putting the
keymap in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols and then putting the file name in
~/.Xkbmap will load it automatically as part of X when this script is
run.  There are other ways, using xmodmap and setxkbmap, but this works.