ldconfig issue after compiling and installing software

Steven Oliver oliver.steven at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 01:56:12 UTC 2012

I'm currently pulling the falcon programming language from git and
installing it myself instead of pulling it from yum.

After pulling it, compiling it, and installing it (sudo make install) it's
failing to run telling me:

root at odrade:/usr/local/lib $ falcon
falcon: error while loading shared libraries: libfalcon_engine.so.1: cannot

My first thought, as I'm sure most of yours will be was to check ldconfig
so i tried:

root at odrade:/usr/local/lib $ ldconfig -v | grep falcon

And it returns nothing. The falcon libraries appear to be correctly
installed:

root at odrade:/usr/local/lib $ ls
falcon  libfalcon_engine.so  libfalcon_engine.so.1
libfalcon_engine.so.1.22.2

And I updated ld.so.conf to include /usr/local/lib before running ldconfig:

root at odrade:/etc $ cat ld.so.conf
include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
include /usr/local/lib

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out?? I'm stumped!

Thanks,
Steven N. Oliver