Fedora 15 and Apache service starting but not accepting connections at boot.

Aero Maxx aero.maxx.d at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 00:42:51 UTC 2012

I have Fedora 15 installed and its working well for me at the moment for
everything except apache in an odd way, it will start at boot without
any issues, but it wont allow any connections to it.

I checked netstat -tpln and this is what it shows :-

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 :::80                       :::*                        LISTEN      1337/httpd
tcp        0      0 :::443                      :::*                        LISTEN      1337/httpd

I cant stop/start/restart the service with the service httpd
stop/start/restart I get this error

Restarting httpd (via systemctl):  Job failed. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details.
                                                            [FAILED]

I cant find any errors that could be causing this systemctl status
httpd.service shows

httpd.service - LSB: start and stop Apache HTTP Server
           Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd)
           Active: failed since Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:32:27 +0000; 49s ago
          Process: 6746 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
           CGroup: name=systemd:/system/httpd.service
                   â 1336 /bin/bash -c ulimit -S -c 0>/dev/null 2>&1 ; /usr/sbin/httpd
                   â 1337 /usr/sbin/httpd
                   â 1781 /usr/sbin/rotatelogs /var/log/httpd/error_log 86400

if I kill the apache process with kill -9 1337 and start it and restart
it with systemctl restart httpd.service it will work normally, just will
not work without killing the process first and starting it myself, the
issue seems to be from it starting on boot, but unsure what could be
causing this.

Is something else starting the process possibly ? if so what would be
starting it instead of systemctl ?

Thanks
Daniel.