Fedora disimprovements: am I alone?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Mar 23 12:27:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 10:39 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > The goal is that the typical user would never actually interact with
> > grub (grub2) or systemctl from the command line at all. Grub
> > manipulations occurring when kernels are installed or removed, systemctl
> > commands can be handled via 'system-config'services'
>
> That sounds absurd to me.
> Maybe I'm not a "typical user" (who is?)
> but I often need to start or restart services,
> eg yesterday I had to restart sendmail after changing my SMARTHOST.
> I also restarted dhcpd after adding another device to dhcpd.conf .
> Are you suggesting I should re-boot after each of these?
----
no - if command line syntax/invocations are challenging, you can do this
rather simply via the 'system-config-services' gui.
----

> I remember that NetworkManager used to have the mantra "It just works".
> They seem to have dropped it now NM actually does work most of the time.
----
and I think you have nailed one of the primary purposes of Fedora...
that to offer the leading edge of software releases puts the developed
code in front of significant numbers of users for wider testing, bug
reports, patches. The concept of release early and often at work.
Releasing early means that not everything initially works as intended.

Craig

believed to be clean.