Firewall disabled; yet "connection refused"

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Mar 27 08:57:43 UTC 2012

On 03/27/2012 04:52 PM, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> I'm trying to set up dovecot on a fresh installation of Fedora 16.  This is an
> obvious problem:
>
>   $ telnet rail 143
>   Trying 10.0.0.21...
>   telnet: connect to address 10.0.0.21: Connection refused
>
> localhost works:
>
>   $ telnet localhost 143
>   Trying ::1...
>   Connected to localhost.
>   Escape character is '^]'.
>   * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE
> STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.
>
> After first trying to permit traffic on port 143 in the firewall configuration,
> I've now disabled it altogether:
>
>   $ systemctl status iptables.service
>   iptables.service - IPv4 firewall with iptables
>         Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/iptables.service; disabled)
>         Active: inactive (dead)
>                 start condition failed at Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:25:13 -0500; 13 years
> and 0 months ago
>         CGroup: name=systemd:/system/iptables.service
>   $ systemctl status ip6tables.service
>   ip6tables.service - IPv6 firewall with ip6tables
>         Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ip6tables.service; disabled)
>         Active: inactive (dead)
>                 start condition failed at Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:25:13 -0500; 13 years
> and 0 months ago
>         CGroup: name=systemd:/system/ip6tables.service
>
> ? yet I still get "connection refused" as above.
>
> If not the firewall, what's the culprit here?

I've not set up dovecot....  But, at times default configuration for some services
bind only to the localhost.   The default configuration for sendmail is an example....

What do you get when from "netstat -nap | grep 143"?

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both
be wrong. -- Dandemis