Mouse sensitivity suddenly changed

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Mar 29 01:05:39 UTC 2012

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> This is a really odd one, I have a keyboard and PS/2 mouse on a KVM
>> switch, accessing four Linux system. All of a sudden the mouse
>> sensitivity changed to "dead slow" on one machine. I checked the
>> settings in preferences, and tried (a) another account and later (b)
>> KDE, mouse is slow in all cases. Sensitivity is high on the other
>> three machines.
>>
>> FC13, GNOME2 (hasn't changed in ages, it's a host for five VMs
>> (i7-950+24GB RAM). Really annoying, can anyone suggest a cause?
>
> The KVM? It used to be that they were a regular bane of this list. Some
> of them don’t do PS/2 properly (Belkin got a lot of bad press), and the
> mouse and computer can get confused.
>
> You probably don’t want to do this, but what happens if you reset the
> physical computer, leaving the KVM switched to that computer while it
> restarts?
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

It's a perfectly good suggestion, I had tried doing a full power cycle
and cold boot before posting, and it didn't help. I didn't provide that
info, and perhaps should have. I also restarted X, dropped from r/l5 to
r/l3, and nothing changed.

Then I went to dinner, an archery banquet, and when I returned the mouse
was normal again. Running top previously didn't reveal any obvious
memory, CPU, hogs, but it is totally possible that something was beating
the machine, perhaps a RAID event, although the disk light was not on
and the logs don't show it.The firewall rule counts on the firewall look
normal, suggesting that there was no network storm, so I'm puzzled, but
working again.

I _hate_ things that "go away" because they tend to come back, and you
can't examine them or recreate them. This condition persisted through a
power cycle (real cold boot, I unplugged until the "got main power" LED
on the mobo went out.

Thanks for the help, I have no doubt I will reprise the question at some
time.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>