help needed with HP dv6-3225dx

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sat May 5 18:22:36 UTC 2012

On 5/5/2012 1:20 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 01:03 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> Hello to all:
>>
>> I have a Hp dv6-3225dx installed with Win7. I tried to dual boot with F14 but it
>> wouldn't recognize the mouse/buttons of the Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad v7.4
>> (driver 15.2.4.4 per Win7). I just tried an install of F16 and I am getting much
>> better behavior (as in it understands the mouse) but I am still hitting a wall.
>>
>> I insert a memory stick and I see the icon popup on my desktop to tell me that it
>> is there. I mouse over it and it confirms that it exists as an unmounted drive.
>> When I click the right or left mouse, it does nothing. Experience on my other F16
>> boxes is that a popup should happen which includes the option of mounting it.
>>
>> The low lying fruit is that I read the man pages for mount and don't quite
>> understand what I need to do to mount it. The real problem is that my install is
>> not fully understanding the touchpad input. Though it would be helpful to know
>> exactly what I have to type in a terminal as root(?) to mount, I am more concerned
>> about getting the buttons to behave "as expected".
>>
>> This is an F16 install under Xfce.
>>
>> For what it is worth, the mouse/buttons under Win7 have been dodgy at times and I
>> think HP made a mistake on this computer using them. If I had the money, I would
>> solve the problem by getting a new laptop ... and not HP as I think they have taken
>> a wrong path ... and double that for using with Linux.
>>

> I don't have a system with a Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad.  But, is it fair to assume
> that you've reviewed "man synaptics"?  I also found there to be a
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf file.  So, maybe this needs to be copied
> to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ ?  Of course, after you do that you'll need to restart the X
> server.
>
> As for the mounting of the memory stick without having the mouse working for you....
>
> You can "tail -f" /var/log/messages when you plug it in and you'll see what device is
> being assigned.  You can then just issue a mount command.

Ed:

Thanks for reply. I went through the man pages back on F14 when I tried
then (the example was 10-synaptics.conf). I "thought" I had it figured
out but was only fooling myself. F16 man pages look more robust but
still come down to dealing with xorg.conf.

Last night I had noticed the applications->system->mouse only had the
most basic of settings for the mouse and no settings for the buttons. I
was hoping (maybe dreaming?) that there was a package that could be
gotten with yum that would provide an expanded interface for dealing
with it. No amount of searching turned up anything.

If nobody else knows of some such package, I'll try, once again, to see
if I can figure out xorg.conf. I struggled with it in FC5 and was very
happy when Fedora no longer required it (F8 or F9?).

As for the mounting of the stick, I never thought of the tail -f of
/var/log/messages to get the info I need for doing the mount command.
Its a great idea and I thank you for suggesting it

Paul