I need help stting up a smart card login

John Wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Wed May 9 03:42:23 UTC 2012

F16 with latest updates - Dell smart card reader keyboard

Problem: I can't get smart card login working

I'm pretty sure I have all the pieces installed. The card can be read by
several command line utilities (can't rember their names at the moment).

[1] escd, pcscd running
[2] Smart card works fine in Firefox
[3] GDM doesn't use smart card for login
[4] Running Smart Card Manager throws error dialogs

     dialog 1: Can't get UniversalXPConnect.TypeError:
Components.classes['@redhat.com/rhCoolKey;1'] is undefined
     dialog 2: coolkey.GetAvailableCoolKeys() failed! undefined(undefined)
     dialog 3: e TypeError: Components.classes['@redhat.com/rhTray;1']
is undefined

     Smart card manager window opens

     SMART CARD DIAGNOSTICS REPORT

     ***Software Version Information***

      Smart Card Manager Version: null
      System Versions: mozilla/5.0 (x11; linux i686; rv:12.0)
gecko/20100101 esc/1.1.0-15

     ***Active Smart Card Details***

       Number of Smart Cards Detected: 0

     ***Smart Card Activity***
     No log file or log file has no data.

     dialog 4: Can't get UniversalXPConnect.TypeError: netkey is undefined

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John