I need help stting up a smart card login

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed May 9 03:59:49 UTC 2012

On 05/09/2012 11:42 AM, John Wendel wrote:
> F16 with latest updates - Dell smart card reader keyboard
>
> Problem: I can't get smart card login working
>
> I'm pretty sure I have all the pieces installed. The card can be read by several
> command line utilities (can't rember their names at the moment).
>
> [1] escd, pcscd running
> [2] Smart card works fine in Firefox
> [3] GDM doesn't use smart card for login
> [4] Running Smart Card Manager throws error dialogs
>
>     dialog 1: Can't get UniversalXPConnect.TypeError:
> Components.classes['@redhat.com/rhCoolKey;1'] is undefined
>     dialog 2: coolkey.GetAvailableCoolKeys() failed! undefined(undefined)
>     dialog 3: e TypeError: Components.classes['@redhat.com/rhTray;1'] is undefined
>
>     Smart card manager window opens
>
>     SMART CARD DIAGNOSTICS REPORT
>
>     ***Software Version Information***
>
>      Smart Card Manager Version: null
>      System Versions: mozilla/5.0 (x11; linux i686; rv:12.0) gecko/20100101
> esc/1.1.0-15
>
>     ***Active Smart Card Details***
>
>       Number of Smart Cards Detected: 0
>
>     ***Smart Card Activity***
>     No log file or log file has no data.
>
>     dialog 4: Can't get UniversalXPConnect.TypeError: netkey is undefined
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I know I'm not being very helpful....  But this question never seemed to get an
answer either....

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2012-January/411824.html

But....  I did see that plugins for gdm were available for F15....  I wonder if that
will help?  Maybe get the source and try to compile for F16?

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/16021715/dir/fedora_15/com/gdm-plugin-smartcard-3.0.4-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm.html

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage