The death of Hibernate?

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Thu May 17 13:30:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 08:24:50AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> I agree. With the advent of x86_64 and dirt cheap RAM swap
> files/partitions should be phased out. Hibernate and suspend are no
> longer necessary or helpful functions either (on machines sold today).

With all due respect, do recall that many who are installing Linux are
doing so on older or recycled machines.  Also, Linux is used in a wide
variety of environments, not just desktops.

It would make sense to offer the option to disable swap, hibernate,
standby, etc.; but don't remove it from the system.  To do so is to say
*you* know better than *I* do how capable my hardware may be; that's
positively Microsoft- or Apple-ish.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat