The death of Hibernate?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu May 17 13:38:26 UTC 2012

Am 17.05.2012 15:30, schrieb Dave Ihnat:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 08:24:50AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> I agree. With the advent of x86_64 and dirt cheap RAM swap
>> files/partitions should be phased out. Hibernate and suspend are no
>> longer necessary or helpful functions either (on machines sold today).
>
> With all due respect, do recall that many who are installing Linux are
> doing so on older or recycled machines.

yes, but i spoke from RECENT hardware

> Also, Linux is used in a wide
> variety of environments, not just desktops.

i know

i am using Fedora as router and for > 20 servers

> It would make sense to offer the option to disable swap, hibernate,
> standby, etc.; but don't remove it from the system.  To do so is to say
> *you* know better than *I* do how capable my hardware may be; that's
> positively Microsoft- or Apple-ish.

i did not say anything opposite

my original answer was to the proven wrong "Do you understand the reason
you still set up swap, even though your entire workload working set
fits into RAM?" and "RAM is better used for disk cache than for idling
processes. If a process does nothing it can be swapped out and the memory
used where needed"

proven by > 20 servers and some large desktop systems with a lot of
mixed usecases over many years using no single byte of swap most
of the time and having only some hundret MB swap-FILE and sysctl
with "vm.swappiness = 1"

the expierience after all this years is if your system starts to
swap anyhting performance is going down dramatically, ever on any
machine