create liveCD with fedora-livecd-desktop.ks

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue May 22 13:14:26 UTC 2012

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 00:32 -0700, Edward M wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Iḿ currently trying creating a custom Fedora 16 LiveCD. from Fedoraś
>> wiki howto called " How to create and use a LiveCD.¨
>> As order in the wiki, I have installed: livecd-tools, sping-kickstarts
>> and then changed Selinux permissive mode to 0 and executed the
>> following command:
>>
>> livecd-creator \
>> --config=/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-livecd-desktop.ks \
>> --fslabel=Fedora-LiveCD --cache=/var/cache/live
>>

>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_a_Live_CD
>> So far everything seems going well, well no errors:-) However the shell
>> prompt is busy at this point:
>>
>> 138 man subdirectories contained newer manual pages.
>> 3105 manual pages were added.
>> 0 stray cats were added.
>> 0 old database entries were purged.
>> ********************************************************************************************************
>>
>> since this is my first trying this, iḿ not sure how long this usually
>> takes on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz with
>> 4GB RAM or simply the procedure has gone awol?
>>
>> thanks!
>>

> A better approach id to download the latest version of "unetbootin" from
> unetbootin.sourceforge.net. This will allow you to easily produce a Live
> USB of F16 and use it to boot it.

But you still need the CD/DVD image file unless you plan on using just the stock
install DVD. Also note that doing just that, I found that installing from USB
onto a new (unpartitioned) SSD the install asked for a network connection and
wouldn't install without it. Since I lack a huge supply of systems to play I can
only say it happened on three (different) small systems.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>