create liveCD with fedora-livecd-desktop.ks

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 22 20:10:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 09:14 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 00:32 -0700, Edward M wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Iḿ currently trying creating a custom Fedora 16 LiveCD. from Fedoraś
> >> wiki howto called " How to create and use a LiveCD.¨
> >> As order in the wiki, I have installed: livecd-tools, sping-kickstarts
> >> and then changed Selinux permissive mode to 0 and executed the
> >> following command:
> >>
> >> livecd-creator \
> >> --config=/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-livecd-desktop.ks \
> >> --fslabel=Fedora-LiveCD --cache=/var/cache/live
> >>

> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_a_Live_CD
> >> So far everything seems going well, well no errors:-) However the shell
> >> prompt is busy at this point:
> >>
> >> 138 man subdirectories contained newer manual pages.
> >> 3105 manual pages were added.
> >> 0 stray cats were added.
> >> 0 old database entries were purged.
> >> ********************************************************************************************************
> >>
> >> since this is my first trying this, iḿ not sure how long this usually
> >> takes on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz with
> >> 4GB RAM or simply the procedure has gone awol?
> >>
> >> thanks!
> >>

> > A better approach id to download the latest version of "unetbootin" from
> > unetbootin.sourceforge.net. This will allow you to easily produce a Live
> > USB of F16 and use it to boot it.
>
> But you still need the CD/DVD image file unless you plan on using just the stock
> install DVD. Also note that doing just that, I found that installing from USB
> onto a new (unpartitioned) SSD the install asked for a network connection and
> wouldn't install without it. Since I lack a huge supply of systems to play I can
> only say it happened on three (different) small systems.

Let be clear . Installing the Live USB does not reqire an internet
connection. And while you have the F16 running you can bring up the
connection just as you would in F16. Then you can download the Live F16
into the hard drive. Along the way you get a chance to partition the
disk just as you would from the install DVD. I just installed F16 this
way without any problems.

We have DIFFERENT amounts of HAIR --
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net