confusion on /sbin/ifconfig on F16

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Wed May 23 03:12:23 UTC 2012

Hello:

As I continue dealing with iptables, another issue has come up that I
can't tell is a mis-understanding on my part or a potential problem

I have three F16 machines, one x86_64 and two i383/686. If I run
/sbin/ifconfig on them, I get (short summary of):

x86_64: eth0
i686: em1

Looking in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, I can see only ifcfg-em1 and
no ifcfg-eth0 on all the machines (x86_64 and i686).

The closest bugzilla I can see if 784314 but it looks like it hints that
ifconfig is old-school and the right way to do things (and its F17 not F16).

Does anyone know what I am either doing wrong or if this looks like a
problem/bug. Plus, if there is a better way, I'd love to know.

What I want to do is have is a bash way to get the static ip address of
the machine which I can see in eth0/em1. I've been using something I
found online which assumes everything is eth0 (as in I think it was for
older Fedora):
+++
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr:' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{ print $1}'
+++

Its too clever for me to have come up with on my own (smile).

I tried expanding the grep to be 'inet addr:192.168.2' but that failed
on the laptop which has an entry for wireless which is dhcp (I cannot
assume wireless will be 192.168.2.*).

Any suggestions appreciated,
Thanks,
Paul