wifi bit rate

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Thu May 24 01:02:39 UTC 2012

On 05/23/2012 02:26 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/24/2012 12:41 AM, JD wrote:
>> It's a 2-wire brand router, rebranded as AT&T
>> And yes, it does have the status page to see
>> every connected client, it's IP address, ...etc
>> However, it has no info about each client's
>> bit rate.
> Then, it leads me to ask the following.....
>
> 1.  Do you know the make/model of the 2-wire equivalent?
>
> 2.  Did you buy the router or was it supplied by your ISP?
>
> 3.  If it was supplied by the ISP, do you have administrator access?
>
> 4.  If it was supplied by the ISP, are you certain it hasn't been "crippled" by the
> ISP?  Some well known ISPs have been known to cripple devices to make them run at
> lower than optimal rates to "avoid" issues.

The model number printed on the router (which
doubles up as tv signal decoder) is 3800HGV-B.
Router was supplied by att.
Yes I do have admin access.
In fact I was told by my brother in law that an att
rep came and messed with it, and had to re-program
it from remote (i.e. att customer service HQ could
do whatever they did, without knowing the password
I had set up for the admin account on the router.
When I arrived several days later, I checked to see if
the passwd was altered. It was not. I checked to see
if the list of allowed mac addresses was altered. It
was not. And checked to see of the enc was changed
away from wpa2_Personal/AES  it was not.
The router's fw drops all connection requests coming
from the outside.
So, it was not clear to me just what they did do. My
bro-in-law is no computer or network techie, and
I was not present at the time they had made the service
rep had come in and asked HQ to do  something.