HP Laserjet P1006 - no errors, no output

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat May 26 09:45:49 UTC 2012

On 05/26/2012 04:59 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 05/26/2012 12:32 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>> Now, if hp-setup could only tell me what it downloaded, and where it dumped
>>> whatever it loaded on the filesystem…
>> Hey, it is proprietary so why should they tell you?  :-)
> # whereis hp-setup
> hp-setup: /usr/bin/hp-setup
> # rpm -qf /usr/bin/hp-setup
> hplip-3.12.2-4.fc16.i686
> # rpm -qi hplip|grep -i licens
> License     : GPLv2+ and MIT
>
> Although PPD files may be proprietary, hplip itself isn't.
> And despite of it, there IMO should be traceable what in filesystem
> was changed. Probably not only in GPL OSes.

Of course the HP process, either hp-setup or hp-plugin, should tell you where/what it
is downloading and where these files are being placed.  I had hoped that would have
been logged in /var/log/hp but it isn't.   Hence my smiley face....

The files being added aren't PPD files, FWIW.

For the curious, they can download http://hplip.sf.net/plugin.conf and then determine
which plugin archive needs to be downloaded based on the version of hplip installed.
In the 3.12.2 they would then need to download
http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/auxfiles/HP/plugins/hplip-3.12.2-plugin.run

You can then look in the begining of that file to determine you can execute it with
--list and have it return the list of files being added to your system.

Using that bit of information you can find the files added....with a little bit of
detective work.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage