HP Laserjet P1006 - no errors, no output

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Sat May 26 15:25:42 UTC 2012

> Ed Greshko writes:
>
>> On 05/26/2012 11:50 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> > Maybe a silly question, but do you have the hplip packages installed?
>> >
>> > I don't have that printer....but when I go to http://localhost:631/ and go through
>> > the process to modify my printer one of the select-able models is....
>> >
>> > HP LaserJet p1006, hpijs, 3.12.2, requires proprietary plugin (en)
>> >
>> > Don't know what the plugin may be....but maybe giving that a try?
>>
>> Also see....
>>
>> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_p1006.html
>>
>> ???
>
> Heh. I already have hplip installed. But when I plugged in the P1006 for the first time,
> CUPS then proceeded and installed the foo2xqx and foo2zjs RPMS for me, together with
> their dependencies from rpmfusion. It found these RPMS in rpmfusion. I actually thought
> that this was pretty impressive, how it autoinstalled the right RPMs it wanted.
>
> http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/ claims that the foo2zjs/foo2xqx driver, that I got pulled in
> from rpmfusion, is broken. That's probably my answer.

Actually, foo2zjs and foo2xqx drivers compiled from source are just as broken
without the printer firmware. I remember a long ago I had to set it up manually.
The Windows driver CD for my HP LaserJet 1020 had the firmware plain in sight,
the README for foo2zjs explained where to put it and how to add autoloading
to udev configuration. That was around Fedora 9. Since then I used hp-setup
to use the "proper" driver but foo2zjs works just as well. Though at that time
foo2zjs worked better, as hplip didn't support LJ 1020...