Can I remove sendmail?

sergiocmailbox-fedorausers at yahoo.com.br sergiocmailbox-fedorausers at yahoo.com.br
Thu May 31 01:21:32 UTC 2012

--- Em qua, 30/5/12, Andre Costa <blueser at gmail.com> escreveu:

De: Andre Costa <blueser at gmail.com>
Assunto: Re: Can I remove sendmail?
Para: sergiocmailbox-fedorausers at yahoo.com.br, "Community support for Fedora users" <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Data: Quarta-feira, 30 de Maio de 2012, 21:45

Hi,

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM,  <sergiocmailbox-fedorausers at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

--- Em qua, 30/5/12, jdow <jdow at earthlink.net> escreveu:

> De: jdow <jdow at earthlink.net>

> Assunto: Re: Can I remove sendmail?

> Para: sergiocmailbox-fedorausers at yahoo.com.br, "Community support for Fedora users" <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>

> Data: Quarta-feira, 30 de Maio de 2012, 12:04

> On 2012/05/30 04:58, sergiocmailbox-fedorausers at yahoo.com.br

> wrote:

> > Hi, we have the sendmail.service enabled by default

> even in the minimal installation.

> > I only use Thunderbird as my email client.

> > May I uninstall sendmail? Is it needed for something

> I'm not aware of?

> > Regards.

> Logwatch and other periodic email messages from the system

> to the root

> user (or his designee) will get lost. I embraced this folly

> years ago

> and had to reinstall SOME mail program. I suppose PostFix

> would do as

> well as SendMail.

> {^_^}

Oh yes, that's what I had in the back of my mind when I asked the question.

So back to enable it again.

"Just for the record, I used to do this after every Fedora installation:
yum install postfixyum remove sendmail
chkconfig postfix onservice postfix start
(well, I still do this -- just did for F17 -- but now 'chkconfig' and 'service' should be replaced by their systemd counterparts)

Works like a charm, as jdow posted, postfix is configured to replace sendmail completely.
Regards,
Andre"

Hi André.
But what difference would it make to replace sendmail for postfix?
Is sendmail some security breach and postfix isn't, or something like that?