Fedora 18, future isn't too good as it seems :-<

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 12:26:24 UTC 2012

On 1 November 2012 11:56, Lawrence Graves <lgraves95 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/01/2012 05:06 AM, Ian Malone wrote:
>>
>> On 1 November 2012 03:55, Junayeed Ahnaf <nirjhor at outlook.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Distro like Ubuntu and Suse almost never fails there shipping date, what
>>> do
>>> you think about Fedora's consecutive delays? Doesn't it hurt it's
>>> adoption
>>> rate to end users?
>>>

>> Doesn't really matter from that point of view, Fedora does two
>> releases a year, one being behind schedule is going to put new
>> adopters off? They'll just go to the website and get the most recent
>> version, or off a magazine dvd.
>>
>> The slippage is a bit worrying, but for other reasons. The discussion
>> going on seems to be that the process for delaying release doesn't
>> quite match the reality of what needs to happen. It'll get there, I'd
>> much rather stuff worked when it was released.
>>
> I would think it would better to be a part of the solution than part of the
> problem. We all have something to complain about but how many of us will
> actually get involved with the solution of the problem at hand. It will be
> released when it is ready.

Well, I'm not about to start hacking on Anaconda for all sorts of
reasons. If everyone on this list started contributing patches I doubt
that would actually get us closer to a 'solution'. Writing code for
the component in question isn't a prerequisite for worrying about the
process that got us to this point.

(Personally the extra time is giving the Jam spin more time to get
finalised, which is good, but then I'm not one of the people who has
to attend weekly blocker reviews on this topic or unable to do
anything because they're stuck in beta freeze.)

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk