Anyone doing UPNP on Fedora ?

Steve linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:01:03 UTC 2012

On 11/01/2012 07:58 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> I didn't give any details because your question is pretty vague :P
> upnp can be used for serving media and for controlling various devices
> (firewall/NAT on your router, IP cam, etc)

I'd like to make a hard drive containing various media files available
to various devices around my house.

The various devices include 2 Samsung TVs, an iPhone, an N900 phone, an
Asus Infinity Android tablet, a couple Windows laptops and a few Linux
laptops and PCs.

I'd like the files to be served from a Linux (Fedora 17) server.

Right now I am trying to share the media drive using uShare or XBMC.  I
get the same results with both.

On the Android tablet I can see the shared folders using the Bubble
UPNP  player, but they appear empty.   On a Fedora laptop I can mount
the server using djmount and can see the folders as well, but they
appear empty as well.  If I attempt to ls the folders, I get an
"endpoint disconnected" error.

Upnp-Inspector displays the server as a valid UPNP server running both
server packages.

I have the firewalls disabled on all devices, except the Android tablet.

Several forum posts indicate that one must add a route to the server's
iptables to allow UPNP multicasting as follows.

route add -net 239.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 eth0

How do I add this to my system when using system-config-firewall and
system-config-network with devices managed by NetworkManager  ?

> I'm mostly using Rygel to serve media to a bunch of devices that
> support it (XBMC, PS3, networked Samsung bluray player etc.)
> If that's similar to what you're trying to do, I can get you more
> specifics
Please do.   I was going to try minidlna next, but it doesn't seem like
the UPNP server software is the problem.

FYI, I am very disappointed to find that KDE as shipped in Fedora
doesn't directly support UPNP sharing and that none of the popular Linux
media players (VLC, Totem, Amarok, etc) have UPNP support built into
them via plug ins from a Fedora repository.  It takes much mucking
around to add UPNP functionality to these applications.

Thanks