New 64-bit Fedora Will Not Mount Similar 32-bit Filesystem

Alan Feuerbacher alanf00 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 4 20:27:00 UTC 2012

On 11/4/2012 2:34 PM, Alchemist wrote:

>     I more or less tried that on my old 32-bit system. I installed a new
>     disk and installed Fedora on a non-LVM partition. It could not see
>     the LVM partition on the older disk -- same problem as I have now.

> Ok lets try
>
> shell# pvs
>
> you must see line /dev/sdc2 and its VG name
>
> shell# vgscan
> shell# vgchange -a y "VG name from pvs output"
> shell# lvscan
> here goes your ACTIVE "/dev/***" output
> shell# mnt "/dev/***" /mnt/fedora32

Here's what I get doing some of that:

#################
[root at alan-fedora ~]# pvs
   PV         VG             Fmt  Attr PSize PFree
   /dev/sdb3  vg_alan-fedora lvm2 a--  2.73t    0

[root at alan-fedora ~]# vgscan
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   Found volume group "vg_alan-fedora" using metadata type lvm2

[root at alan-fedora ~]# lvscan
   ACTIVE            '/dev/vg_alan-fedora/lv_swap' [17.38 GiB] inherit
   ACTIVE            '/dev/vg_alan-fedora/lv_home' [2.66 TiB] inherit
   ACTIVE            '/dev/vg_alan-fedora/lv_root' [50.00 GiB] inherit

I don't see a VG name for /dev/sdc2.

I'm confused about what vgchange is supposed to do. The man page does
not say what it does with the line you suggested. Specifically, the
command takes an INPUT volume name, and the implication is that that
name will be changed, but changed to what?

Alan