New 64-bit Fedora Will Not Mount Similar 32-bit Filesystem

Alchemist raimiiic at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 20:53:13 UTC 2012

2012/11/4 Alan Feuerbacher <alanf00 at comcast.net>

> On 11/4/2012 2:34 PM, Alchemist wrote:
>
>      I more or less tried that on my old 32-bit system. I installed a new
>>     disk and installed Fedora on a non-LVM partition. It could not see
>>     the LVM partition on the older disk -- same problem as I have now.
>>

>  Ok lets try
>>
>> shell# pvs
>>
>> you must see line /dev/sdc2 and its VG name
>>
>> shell# vgscan
>> shell# vgchange -a y "VG name from pvs output"
>> shell# lvscan
>> here goes your ACTIVE "/dev/***" output
>> shell# mnt "/dev/***" /mnt/fedora32
>>

> Here's what I get doing some of that:
>
> #################
> [root at alan-fedora ~]# pvs
>   PV         VG             Fmt  Attr PSize PFree
>   /dev/sdb3  vg_alan-fedora lvm2 a--  2.73t    0
>

> [root at alan-fedora ~]# vgscan
>   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
>   Found volume group "vg_alan-fedora" using metadata type lvm2
>

> [root at alan-fedora ~]# lvscan
>   ACTIVE            '/dev/vg_alan-fedora/lv_swap' [17.38 GiB] inherit
>   ACTIVE            '/dev/vg_alan-fedora/lv_home' [2.66 TiB] inherit
>   ACTIVE            '/dev/vg_alan-fedora/lv_root' [50.00 GiB] inherit
> #################
>
> I don't see a VG name for /dev/sdc2.
>
> I'm confused about what vgchange is supposed to do. The man page does not
> say what it does with the line you suggested. Specifically, the command
> takes an INPUT volume name, and the implication is that that name will be
> changed, but changed to what?
>
> Alan

That line makes volume group active. But not in this case. If both volumes
are made by Anaconda and both have name "vg_alan-fedora" (as hostname) it
may cause misunderstanding, for pvscanning, but as far as i know, pvs shows
all VG even with same labels. Do you use Gnome? You check it with
palimpsest, or all this is console releated only? Next, you can power off
pc, disconnect/disable your master hdd(new), enable only old and boot from
LiveCD(Fedora or any that supports LVM) and rename your old hdd VG
vg_alan-fedora to f.e. vg_alan_old, so if there is a problem with naming,
you now will have twoo different VG labels. Then connect/enable back your
master drive, and boot as now. Then try again to pvscan. In any case be
careful, do not damage your data!!!

how to rename>>>
livecd# pvs
livecd# vgscan
livecd# vgchange -a n
livecd# vgrename vg_alan-fedora vg_alan-old