Fedora 18, future isn't too good as it seems :-<

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 12:16:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 02:55:28PM +1100, Junayeed Ahnaf wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm seeing that Fedora 18 has been delayed 5 times already, and this post from Michael isn't looking too good either: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIxODk
>

> Distro like Ubuntu and Suse almost never fails there shipping date, what do you think about Fedora's consecutive delays? Doesn't it hurt it's adoption rate to end users?
>

> And a little off topic, how do you think KDE 5.0 will be?
>

> Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor
> Software Engineer @ Hulu
> Twitter @ Nirjhor

IMHO, one should not test a release by its time schedule, especially
like Fedora's, since major changes are being worked out for the new
release & it's not a n easy task to toe the timeline in such a scenario.

One of the major being, bringing changes to anaconda to handle btrfs
which fedora community is wishing to integrate with the distro in a
manner to have minimum negative & bug free impact atleast from the
installer point of view. Btrfs is also not perfect yet & lots of bug
fixing & tuning is going on in it but still it is, I believe the
unmentioned target of the release & work is being done to put in place
everything before btrfs is made the default fs on fedora.

Since btrfs introduces a magnitude of complexities in relation to fs &
disks usage, allocations etc, it has put forth a real complicated goal
for anaconda authors.

I believe, toeing a timeline & not adhering to the goals is better that
the time line is foregone for the latter.

--
vikram...
--
Established technology tends to persist in the face of new technology.
		-- G. Blaauw, one of the designers of System 360