Does the nouveau kernel module support 3D video hardware acceleration?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Nov 10 14:38:18 UTC 2012

lee writes:

> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:
>
> > Bruno Wolff III writes:

> >> It supports 3D acceleration.
> >
> > Not on all Nvidia chipsets.
> >
> > http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix
>
> I tried it and got only about 1/7 of the FPS I get with the drivers from
> NVIDIA, so it's not really an option (unless you have a really fast card
> and want to waste it maybe).

Well, it's not really an option if your needs are, primarily, to play shoot-
em-ups. Then, your only realistics options are either MS-Windows, or dealing
with Nvidia's proprietary driver, and regular kernel breakages that result
from using it.

But, for most folks who only need accelerated video to pacify Gnome 3, and
to play Youboob videos, Nouveau should work just fine. I have a geforce gtx
285 card, which is NV4x chipset I think, and nouveau works fine for me.