Does the nouveau kernel module support 3D video hardware acceleration?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sat Nov 10 17:13:16 UTC 2012

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:

> lee writes:
>
>> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> writes:

>> > Not on all Nvidia chipsets.
>> >
>> > http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix
>>
>> I tried it and got only about 1/7 of the FPS I get with the drivers from
>> NVIDIA, so it's not really an option (unless you have a really fast card
>> and want to waste it maybe).
>
> Well, it's not really an option if your needs are, primarily, to play
> shoot-
> em-ups. Then, your only realistics options are either MS-Windows, or
> dealing with Nvidia's proprietary driver, and regular kernel breakages
> that result from using it.

You don't have to play shooting games; it's any game that has nice
graphics which you won't be able to play.  I've been using NVIDIA
drivers for more than a decade now and they have never broken the
kernel.  Their cards and drivers just work fine, and that's why I keep
buying NVIDIA cards.

> But, for most folks who only need accelerated video to pacify Gnome 3,
> and to play Youboob videos, Nouveau should work just fine. I have a
> geforce gtx 285 card, which is NV4x chipset I think, and nouveau works
> fine for me.

The OP was asking about 2/3d acceleration.  Where is the 3d acceleration
with the nouveau driver when the 3d stuff is so awfully slow?  Only 1/7
the performance is quite a large factor.

--
Fedora 17