network manager has gone crazy

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sat Nov 10 19:07:23 UTC 2012

Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 17:05:49 +0100,
>   lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>
>>Why is the network manager going crazy and doesn't stick with the
>>information I'm giving it, and how do I fix this?  Name resolution going
>>down because /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting overwritten causes very
>>annoying interruptions.
>
> Do you have a wireless interface? Setting up a wireless connection can
> modify /etc/resolv.conf.

No, just two on-board wired ethernet interfaces one of which I turned
off.  That couldn't be handled with networkmanager ...

>>I know I could disable network manager, but that isn't really a
>>solution.  I need it solved before I go to sleep, though.
>
> Why not? If you aren't using wireless networks, the network service
> should be easy to use as a replacement.

All the Fedora documentation says I shouldn't disable it, and I don't
know well enough yet how things are done in Fedora to decide whether
it's a good idea to disable it or not.  Having a service running that
constantly monitors and changes the files is certainly a bad idea.

--
Fedora 17