network manager has gone crazy

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Nov 10 20:02:24 UTC 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 20:07:23 +0100,
   lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 17:05:49 +0100,
>>   lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>>
>>>Why is the network manager going crazy and doesn't stick with the
>>>information I'm giving it, and how do I fix this?  Name resolution going
>>>down because /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting overwritten causes very
>>>annoying interruptions.
>>
>> Do you have a wireless interface? Setting up a wireless connection can
>> modify /etc/resolv.conf.
>
>No, just two on-board wired ethernet interfaces one of which I turned
>off.  That couldn't be handled with networkmanager ...

That's odd, as /etc/resolv.conf should only change when your network
changes. Typically that would be when a new connection is made or one is
shut down. Do you have anything odd with DHCP on your network? Are there
any issues with your cables?

>All the Fedora documentation says I shouldn't disable it, and I don't
>know well enough yet how things are done in Fedora to decide whether
>it's a good idea to disable it or not.  Having a service running that
>constantly monitors and changes the files is certainly a bad idea.

Well, if you disble network manager, you will need to enable network or
you network interfaces won't be set up. So you can't just blindly disable it.
For now the network service will do what you want.