network manager has gone crazy

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 11 05:30:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 17:05 +0100, lee wrote:
> apparently network manager continues to overwrite /etc/resolv.conf
> with incorrect data.  Adjusting it with system-config-network doesn't
> help.
>
> ... and the copies of that file under the different names are all the
> same.  After some time, /etc/resolv.conf will be empty, and it
> sometimes is missing the "search" entry.
>
> Why is the network manager going crazy and doesn't stick with the
> information I'm giving it, and how do I fix this?  Name resolution
> going down because /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting overwritten causes
> very annoying interruptions.

_EXACTLY_ how are you giving it the data?

* Are you configuring network manager, through its own interface?

* Are you expecting network manager to handle data that you've manually
shoved into /etc/resolv.conf?  (That isn't going to work.)

* Are you configuring it through your network's DHCP server?

Another point that springs to mind:  A common problem with people
getting random DHCP client configuration is having two DHCP servers
running on their LAN.  This is a bad idea, unless one of them is
configured to work as a slave to the other.  It's not unusual for people
to connect two devices that can work as a DHCP server, perhaps
accidentally; or they thought one the servers was disabled, but it's
actually running.

I've been using NetworkManager on several different releases, for many
years, and I haven't had any of the problems that I see people commonly
write about.  But I have seen plenty of people trying to bash it about,
force it to do something in a daft way, and expect it to work.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.