DNS problems this morning -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Nov 11 20:20:23 UTC 2012

On 11/11/12 14:50, Reindl Harald wrote:
> "PEERDNS=no" is your friend touch prevent touch resolv.conf
> and NO it is NOT ok to have ANY unrelieable DNS in
> resolv.conf becasue as explaiend you have no control which is
> used for a request, there is no order, the diesgn is to
> configure equal namservers and not some with different results
>
> [root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> DEVICE=eth1
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> IPV6INIT=no
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=no

    The instruction I had said to set it here and I did that earlier.

        [root at box7 bobg]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
        NETWORKING=yes
        HOSTNAME=box7
        NTPSERVERARGS=iburst
        PEERDNS=no

    Now I have changed it here:

            [bobg at box7 ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1
            UUID="ef05f66e-b998-4218-9bdf-30228be529ce"
            NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
            BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
            DEVICE="em1"
            ONBOOT="yes"
            HWADDR=00:21:9B:78:63:B1
            TYPE=Ethernet
            DEFROUTE=yes
            PEERDNS=no
            PEERROUTES=yes
            IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
            IPV6INIT=no
            NAME="System em1-DHCP"

        "and NO it is NOT ok to have ANY unrelieable DNS in
        resolv.conf" I don't think I have any control over that. Viasat wont let me
        choose a dns. If I do it is "blocked!" In the past I used opendns, [a paid subscription.]

        Well that doesn't work, I can't send!

            [bobg at box7 ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
            # Generated by NetworkManager

            # No nameservers found; try putting DNS servers into your
            # ifcfg files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts like so:
            #
            # DNS1=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
            # DNS2=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
            # DOMAIN=lab.foo.com bar.foo.com