network manager has gone crazy

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Nov 12 13:05:36 UTC 2012

lee wrote:

>> it is for the classical "network.service" and you should
>> NOT mix tools for different worlds in your usage
>
> It's not surprising that it doesn't work then.  So how do you configure
> networkmanager?
>
> Whose extremely stupid idea was it to have two different and conflicting
> systems for configuring network interfaces installed at the same time by
> default with no way for users to tell them apart?  And where is the
> documentatition about this?

As I understand it, you have asked NM to manage your ethernet connection
(in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1).
I believe that NM over-writes /etc/resolv.conf if it cannot establish
the specified connection.
In my opinion this is silly; but that is what NM does.

If you don't want NM to manage your connection you should say so
in the above ifcfg file.

Or at least that is my understanding of the setup.