Multiple default routes, same subnet

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Tue Nov 13 14:09:06 UTC 2012

Hi other Fernando,

>> I have two internet links, from different ISPs for my office network,
>> each one with it's own router (which is a linux PC) so I don't loose
>> internet connectivity easily. One ISP has a much higher bandwitch, so
>> usually all my computers use it as the default gateway. The other one is
>> intended as a contingency link.
> Another point of view for your problem. As one router/link is master and
> the other is backup and both are linux PC, you can configure VRRP in the
> LAN side of both of them using as virtual IP the IP configured as default
> gateway in all your computers. You can have in the master router a script
> that monitors the internet link and change the priority of the VRRP config
> according with the status of the internet link.

I though of that and found a few howtos on google, but I also found
those scripts a but unreliable and taking too long to switch from the
primary link to the contingency one. It looks to me a reliable setup
would be a real failover cluster, using LVS or pacemaker, something I'd
like to avoid.

I'm having trouble finding info about VRRP, and iproute2 (policy
routing) is proving to be a complex subject. Are they related, or can I
use VRRP without iproute2?

My routers are not running Fedora. They run IPcop, a very nice
trimmed-down Linux distro.

I hoped Linux computers would be able to detect a broken default gateway
and use another one with a higher metric, bust this just dosen't work,
no matter how many pages on the net say it should. :-(

[]s, Fernando Lozano

[]s, Fernando Lozano