Fedora support for laplets

Steve linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:27:55 UTC 2012

On 11/11/2012 09:53 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I see a lot of vendors are putting out hybrid tablet-laptops with a
> touch screen which flips, and traditional keyboard, which can be used
> in a number of ways, including as a tablet. Has anyone gotten
> experience with using Fedora on such a machine, and if so how (if at
> all) was the touch feature supported?

I am running Fedora 17 on a Dell Duo that is a couple years old.

It shipped with Windows and it sucked.   I installed Fedora (15?) on it
and it came to life.  Its a really nice machine with it.

As far as the touch functionality, I had to install drivers manually
back then, but I believe that the kernel now ships with them natively.
Touch just works in F17, but it ceases to work if I put my Duo to sleep
and then resume.   Whether it works on your device depends on what
hardware it has.

I don't know a whole lot about touch functionality in Fedora 17.  I
haven't played around with it much.  The problem with a touchscreen
device is that as soon as you want to do real work, it is soooo slow
compared to a keyboard.   So what I do is use touch for general browsing
and such, but as soon as I want to get serious about something I find
myself flipping the keyboard open and typing and using the mouse.

> I've seen reasonably nice units from Dell and Lenovo, but no nice
> salespeople who would let me boot them from thumb drive.
If you are referring to the new Dell Duo, I think that is one sweet
machine.  I'd go for it.  If I didn't have an Android tablet, I'd go for
the new Duo myself.

If you are looking for advanced tablet functionality, check out the new
Plasma Active release.  Rex put a build in the testing repository.  I
haven't had a chance to test it yet.