Fedora support for laplets

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Nov 16 05:15:07 UTC 2012

Steve wrote:
> On 11/11/2012 09:53 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I see a lot of vendors are putting out hybrid tablet-laptops with a touch
>> screen which flips, and traditional keyboard, which can be used in a number of
>> ways, including as a tablet. Has anyone gotten experience with using Fedora on
>> such a machine, and if so how (if at all) was the touch feature supported?
>
> I am running Fedora 17 on a Dell Duo that is a couple years old.
>
> It shipped with Windows and it sucked.   I installed Fedora (15?) on it and it
> came to life.  Its a really nice machine with it.
>
> As far as the touch functionality, I had to install drivers manually back then,
> but I believe that the kernel now ships with them natively. Touch just works in
> F17, but it ceases to work if I put my Duo to sleep and then resume.   Whether
> it works on your device depends on what hardware it has.
>
> I don't know a whole lot about touch functionality in Fedora 17.  I haven't
> played around with it much.  The problem with a touchscreen device is that as
> soon as you want to do real work, it is soooo slow compared to a keyboard.   So
> what I do is use touch for general browsing and such, but as soon as I want to
> get serious about something I find myself flipping the keyboard open and typing
> and using the mouse.
>
>> I've seen reasonably nice units from Dell and Lenovo, but no nice salespeople
>> who would let me boot them from thumb drive.
> If you are referring to the new Dell Duo, I think that is one sweet machine.
> I'd go for it.  If I didn't have an Android tablet, I'd go for the new Duo myself.

Have an Android tablet, and I do like it, some things are very nice with touch,
while as you note, typing much or anything needing careful pointer control is
poor. Wish I could run Android apps on Fedora with touch, for some things it's
outstanding.

> If you are looking for advanced tablet functionality, check out the new Plasma
> Active release.  Rex put a build in the testing repository.  I haven't had a
> chance to test it yet.

Sounds interesting, I would want to see how well it works before I bought the
hardware, but that would be the right set of solutions for me.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>