DNS problems this morning -

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Nov 13 21:01:48 UTC 2012

On 11/13/2012 11:54 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA issued this
missive:
> On 13/11/12 14:32, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>> Is there a better way to test?
>>
>> Format is "options timeout:1 attempts:1", and I'd move it above the
>> "nameserver" lines.
>
>     Good, I've changed resolv.conf:
>
>         [bobg at box7 ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>         # Generated by NetworkManager
>
>         options timeout:1 attempts:1
>         nameserver 127.0.0.1
>         nameserver 192.168.1.1
>         nameserver 184.63.128.68
>
>     It appears to be working very well observing the information in the
>     Firefox display. Certainly no trace of the problems I had this
>     weekend, but then it appears Viasat has fixed whatever broke.

Glad to help. Yes, it's not clear, but the resolv.conf is read each
time the library is invoked and I think the options line affects things
after it in the file.
-   Let us think the unthinkable. Let us do the undoable. Let us     -
-   prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may  -
-                      not eff it up after all.                      -
-                                                 -- Douglas Adams   -