Fedora 17: Auto configuring wireless networks in Network Manager on first boot

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 07:40:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 02:04:09PM +0100, lee wrote:

> > Here is my ifcfg-networkname file looks like
>
> Shouldn't the file be named for the interface, like ifcfg-em1?

No, it is the network name.  You can have different network settings for
the same network device and save them with different network names.

> > HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> > ESSID="networkname"
> > MODE=Managed
> > KEY_MGMT=WPA-EAP
> > SECURITYMODE=open
> > TYPE=Wireless
> > IEEE_8021X_EAP_METHODS=PEAP
> > IEEE_8021X_IDENTITY=<username>
> > IEEE_8021X_PASSWORD_FLAGS=ask
> > IEEE_8021X_INNER_AUTH_METHODS=GTC
> > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> > DEFROUTE=yes
> > PEERDNS=yes
> > PEERROUTES=yes
> > IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
> > IPV6INIT=yes
> > IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
> > IPV6_DEFROUTE=yes
> > IPV6_PEERDNS=yes
> > IPV6_PEERROUTES=yes
> > IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL=no
> > IPV6_PRIVACY=rfc3041
> > NAME=<mynetworkname>
> > UUID=cbb10c64-e609-4dcf-b554-7343cb791eae
> > ONBOOT=yes
> >
> > Does network manager do anything other than generating this file when the
> > user configures a wireless network?
>
> Networkmanager seems to have and to use its own configuration in
> /etc/NetworkManager and may disagree with the ifcfg-* files, so if you
> want to use networkmanager, you're better off using its configuration
> tools rather than editing the files used by the network.service.

I believe what you say above is wrong.  NM respects the ifcfg-* scripts
as it should.  What the OP is missing is this line:

  USERCTL=no

When using the gui, this can be enabled by ticking the box "Available to
all users" at the bottom left.

The keys for excrypted connections are also kept in the same directory
in a file named keys-<networkname>.

> Networkmanager also messes with /etc/resolv.conf.  Just dropping an
> ifcfg-* file into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts or editing one isn't
> sufficient because networkmanager doesn't understand from that what you
> are trying to achieve.

I have seen several posts about this lately, and it is all because users
are complaining prematurely before looking.  I have setup OpenDNS in the
past rather easily.  You have to add the DNS server information to the
"Additional DNS servers" field when using DHCP or the "DNS servers"
field when using "DHCP for addresses only".  I do not remeber the exact
lines for the ifcfg scripts but it should be something like this:

  DNS1=208.67.222.222
  DNS2=208.67.220.220

Hope this helps.

--