Fedora 17: Auto configuring wireless networks in Network Manager on first boot

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Wed Nov 14 13:04:09 UTC 2012

Arun SAG <sagarun at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> How do i configure wireless networks in NetworkManager during install time
> so that the user don't have to configure it manually. I tried to drop in
> the file ifcfg-networkname in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, but Network
> Manager keeps asking me to configure the network myself despite the
> presence of the configuration file.

As far as I understand, the interfaces should be configured
automatically by networkmanager if you're using DHCP.  For wireless,
you'll probably have to enter a key if it uses encryption.

> Here is my ifcfg-networkname file looks like

Shouldn't the file be named for the interface, like ifcfg-em1?

> HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> ESSID="networkname"
> MODE=Managed
> KEY_MGMT=WPA-EAP
> SECURITYMODE=open
> TYPE=Wireless
> IEEE_8021X_EAP_METHODS=PEAP
> IEEE_8021X_IDENTITY=<username>
> IEEE_8021X_PASSWORD_FLAGS=ask
> IEEE_8021X_INNER_AUTH_METHODS=GTC
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> DEFROUTE=yes
> PEERDNS=yes
> PEERROUTES=yes
> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
> IPV6INIT=yes
> IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
> IPV6_DEFROUTE=yes
> IPV6_PEERDNS=yes
> IPV6_PEERROUTES=yes
> IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL=no
> IPV6_PRIVACY=rfc3041
> NAME=<mynetworkname>
> UUID=cbb10c64-e609-4dcf-b554-7343cb791eae
> ONBOOT=yes
>
> Does network manager do anything other than generating this file when the
> user configures a wireless network?

Networkmanager seems to have and to use its own configuration in
/etc/NetworkManager and may disagree with the ifcfg-* files, so if you
want to use networkmanager, you're better off using its configuration
tools rather than editing the files used by the network.service.

Networkmanager also messes with /etc/resolv.conf.  Just dropping an
ifcfg-* file into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts or editing one isn't
sufficient because networkmanager doesn't understand from that what you
are trying to achieve.  And what about wpa_supplicant?

--
Fedora 17