Fedora 17: Auto configuring wireless networks in Network Manager on first boot

Arun SAG sagarun at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 04:48:35 UTC 2012

Hi,

How do i configure wireless networks in NetworkManager during install time
so that the user don't have to configure it manually. I tried to drop in
the file ifcfg-networkname in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, but Network
Manager keeps asking me to configure the network myself despite the
presence of the configuration file.

Here is my ifcfg-networkname file looks like

HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
ESSID="networkname"
MODE=Managed
KEY_MGMT=WPA-EAP
SECURITYMODE=open
TYPE=Wireless
IEEE_8021X_EAP_METHODS=PEAP
IEEE_8021X_IDENTITY=<username>
IEEE_8021X_PASSWORD_FLAGS=ask
IEEE_8021X_INNER_AUTH_METHODS=GTC
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DEFROUTE=yes
PEERDNS=yes
PEERROUTES=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=no
IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes
IPV6_DEFROUTE=yes
IPV6_PEERDNS=yes
IPV6_PEERROUTES=yes
IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL=no
IPV6_PRIVACY=rfc3041
NAME=<mynetworkname>
UUID=cbb10c64-e609-4dcf-b554-7343cb791eae
ONBOOT=yes

Does network manager do anything other than generating this file when the
user configures a wireless network?

PS: Reposing in users list
--
Arun S A G