DNS problems this morning - CORRECTION

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 15 16:36:31 UTC 2012

Allegedly, on or about 12 November 2012, lee sent:
> If you're using a chaching name server, you might not want the
> "search" option.

You probably do.  It, or a similar option, will be used so that "ping
hostname" successfully translates into "ping hostname.domainname" on
your network.

> install bind, set it up and check if it works.  Then turn off DHCP
> unless you really must have it and give all the computers on your LAN
> their unique names and IPs.  Use only the name servers you have set up
> yourself (which is probably only one) and make all clients use those
> and no other ones.

I'd say, if you're installing BIND, then run a DHCP server on that same
computer, and disable any other DHCP servers on your LAN (such as in
your modem/router).  Configure your DHCP server to tell all clients on
your network the addresses for configuring your network (gateway, DNS
servers, etc.).  Then leave NetworkManager running normally, without any
manual configuration on each client.

That gets you a normal running network, where each client is centrally
configured from one server.  There's no messing around with any client
configuration on any client.

You can have dynamic or static IPs, for your clients, this way.  It
depends on how you configure your DHCP server.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.6.6-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 5 21:59:35 UTC 2012 x86_64

public lists.